Monday 16 June 2008

Don’t Ask, Just Google It!

Yes, trying some world play humour here. Not sure I’m good at it though. Ask.com ad on Google France
It has been a while now that I've kept noticing a certain advertiser popping up its ads on Google’s sponsored links results. Nothing strange until here, right? Only that I’m talking about Ask.com.
Of course that makes me curious if this is about getting traffic to their site and doing some branding job or if they have something else in mind.

Seeing the landing page, arbitrage is the first thing that comes to mind. But then again, how profitable could this be? As Google is the provider of these sponsored links.
Ask.com ad landing page in FranceEven though they have a “stay down” strategy, appearing only in low positions, thus paying not-so-expensive clicks, I still don’t believe they can use this as a business model.

On the other hand, with only 0.15%, Ask.com ranked 6th in search volume share, last month, in France. If getting a better score is their goal, I’m asking my self if this is the best strategy. I mean, some “Not happy with this results? Try using Ask.com instead!” should do a better job instead of the “Search X on Ask!” they keep using right now.

I’ll keep diggin’ as this has really stirred up my curiosity.

Oh, look, same thing on co.uk. What’s with the shopping search engine text?
Ask.com ad on Google UK

No comments: